Lack of Communication in Relationships Can Be Damaging – How to Overcome Communication Blocks
All communication is not verbal. Throughout our busy days we communicate and much is done with our non verbal expressions. Facial expressions and our body language tell those we interact with and those who are watching and observing, how we feel, what we dislike and much more is told.
Just as a lack of communication will disrupt business processes at your job, a lack of communication in your relationship can be damaging. When couples talk to each other, feelings and emotions are shared. Feelings of acceptance, belonging and care for one another are felt. Sharing whats on your mind helps your mate to better understand you and gives them the tools and knowledge to better understand and communicate effectively with you. Relationships can and should-be the place where couples can talk to each other about anything.
Communicating allows us to feel close with and more affectionate towards the one we love. When couples encounter problems and they allows their problems get in the way of communicating what they feel, this could prove damaging to your relationship. When dealing with the problems life brings, the very thing you don’t want to do is stop talking to your mate. If your reason for not talking is because you don’t want them to find something out, you will have to discuss and face the reasons you are keeping something from them. How do you over come those communication blocks? Someone should to take the lead and men, here’s when you can begin; as you begin to relax for the evening, you can simple say…”we should talk”. Here’s a few things to remember that could help get over those block in your communication:
- Start with being honest and truthful. Remember, when you lie ( and we should’nt be, you will always have to remember the lie you told, to keep from exposing yourself and that’s a burden you will carry and when you slip up, you will probably lose the trust of the person who believed you.
- Don’t try to place any blame. If you are wrong, simply say so!
- Talk about whats on your mind and how you feel. Most men will have trouble with this, so women don’t push, don’t pressure him into it, just listen. If you need to talk all night, its worthy it to close the gap between the two of you.
- Let go of being right and proving your point. If you must have the last word, you will most always have communication issues. The one who feels they must win with their words, will get not get much participation from the one who loses. When somebody wants to win, it means someone loses and in the relationship either you both win or you both lose. You are not competitors.
- Don’t use sex and intimacy as your tool or weapon of choice to punish or control your mate. This is the most selfish thing a person can do in a relationship. You can at some time drive your mate into the company of someone who might care more than you.
- Remembering the first time you met and fell in love can be the starting point in talking to each other. Remaining silent only allows the distance between you and your mate to grow. Leave your ego out of your problems will help, open your mind and your heart and then your mouth, start talking and keep listening to each other.
You can find out more about this author at: http://NathanielLewis.info. Please feel free to comment to this article or any article on our blog. Thanks for reading, hope to hear from you soon!
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Nathaniel_Lewis